When you are designing a dolls house, one of the most important rooms you will need to think about is the kitchen. The kitchen is the soul of the house and it is intended for much more than just cooking, it is a place to congregate, socialise and chat. If you were designing a full sized house you would put a lot of thought into the kitchen, so why not do the same with your dolls house?
When you are building the kitchen in your dolls house, there are a lot of opportunities to add detail and visual interest.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when you are decorating your dolls house kitchen:
· Think about the design of the kitchen as you would with a full sized room. How would the little people in your dolls house use the kitchen? Is it well designed and practical?
· The first step is to think about the wallpaper or paint on the walls. This will depend on the era that you are trying to replicate, so that the time to find the right pattern of dolls house wall paper to match the style you are going for.
· Don’t forget about storage. It is possible to make fitted cabinets for your dolls house kitchen using simple materials, or you can buy them online.
· Consider your colour scheme. Are you looking to create a pale, pastel kitchen, a graphic black and white look or a modern, bright design? Of course, this will be affected by the historical era you are trying to recreate with your dolls house design.
· Is it also important to make sure that you have all of the necessary appliances for your doll house kitchen – so that the tiny inhabitants will be able to cook! You can find perfectly detailed miniature versions of stoves, sinks, fridges and other kitchen related dolls house accessories online.
· Think about the décor of your kitchen. You can add little details such as paintings, vases with flowers and other decorations to make the kitchen feel more homey and welcoming.
· If you are stuck for ideas, you can look at magazines, blogs and websites that are related to kitchen décor and dolls house building. If you find an idea that you like, you can save it or clip it out so that you will remember it later.
· You can also use online forums dedicated to this hobby, in order to get ideas and suggestions from other dolls house building enthusiasts.
· The kitchen table will be the focus of the room, so choose a good quality kitchen table that will add a lot to the visual appeal of the kitchen. There are dolls house furniture retailers online that offer beautiful kitchen and dining tables for your little home.
Telling a Story
Once you have gotten all of the elements of your dolls house kitchen set up, you can think about arranging those elements to tell a story. Your dolls house kitchen will feel a lot more real and will be more interesting when there is something going on – so set up each element to create a small vignette. For example, you could set the table with some food and drink, so that it looks like the inhabitants of your dolls house are just about to have a delicious meal. You can even leave the oven open with a casserole dish or some bread baking inside. You might even want to create different seasonal displays for your miniature kitchen, such as a Christmas meal or a summer meal with salads and chicken.
There are many great miniature manufacturers who create high quality tiny replicas of food, which are very realistic and would look great in your kitchen, so why not do some shopping online?
It is even possible to create tiny miniatures that have a sense of movement and motion, such as a cereal bowl with milk in mid-splash. These add even more to the impression that the kitchen is real.
With these tips in mind, you will be able to create a unique, interesting, realistic and detailed kitchen for your dolls house. Have fun, experiment and enjoy building your tiny world.
Leave a Reply