When I think of a healthy lifestyle, I first think of eating right and exercise. I’m learning that there’s more to a healthy lifestyle. Such as the cleaners you use. It’s important to think about what you’re using to clean your house with.
Vinegar has some amazing cleaning power and makes a great “green” household cleaning product. Using white distilled vinegar as an all-purpose cleaner is is better for your healthy lifestyle than the harsh, toxic chemical blends that you buy in the store. And vinegar is a lot cheaper to buy.
Granted vinegar doesn’t really smell the best but don’t worry. When it dries, there’s no smell at all.
So let’s look at these 9 uses for cleaning with vinegar.
Cleaning with Vinegar
1. Windows & Mirrors – Fill a 16 oz. spray bottle with ½ vinegar and ½ water to clean windows and mirrors.
2. Microwave – To clean out a dirty microwave put 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl (you can add a bit of lemon juice as well). Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes and wipe out with a damp cloth. All that stuck on food comes off easily.
3. Dishwasher – Fill your rinse dispenser with vinegar and your dishes will come out squeaky clean.
4. Refrigerator & Counter Tops – Keeping a spray bottle on hand filled with ½ vinegar and ½ water makes it easy to grab to clean the counter tops. Use it to clean out the refrigerator on a regular basis too. You won’t have to worry about using this solution around your food because it is non-toxic and all natural.
5. Coffee Pot – To keep your coffee pot free from buildup, use a full pot of straight vinegar and run through a normal brew cycle. Then run two regular pots of water through the brew cycle. Do this once a month.
6. Underarm Stains – Use full strength vinegar in a spray bottle to soak the stained areas. Leave in for 15-20 minutes before washing as usual.
7. Fabric Softener – You can use vinegar in place of your normal fabric softener in the rinse cycle.
8. Toilet – pour in 1 cup of full strength vinegar, leave it for 10 minutes and clean as usual.
9. Tub/Shower – Use 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water in a spray bottle, to keep your shower clean. Just spray down the shower, tub and shower curtain after your shower.
Lincoln Street Storage says
Vinegar mixed with a little coconut oil can also be used as an organic pest control. It can help repel spiders when storing carpet. Just make sure though that the carpet is completely dry when storing it.
Nice article you have here, btw. I’ll be sure to visit again. 🙂
Julie @ Logger's Wife says
I love cleaning with vinegar. One of my favorites is using it (combined with baking soda then followed up with boiling water) to clean drains. I do it once a month to keep my drains from getting clogged. I had never heard of the underarm stain one. I’ll have to try that!
(visiting from Good Tips Tuesday)
Jana S says
I clean everything and anything with vinegar. It is an amazing product. I also buy cleaning vinegar.
Allyson Tice says
Ilove using vinegar all the time for cleaning! i use it in my tub and bathroom sink all the time! works wonders!