After deciding on bringing a dog home into your home, you will obviously be confronted with one question: how do you go about choosing the right puppy? It’s something you need to put a lot of thought into, as your new pet will hopefully be with you for many years to come. Not only do you want to be happy with your decision, but your dog will want to be with the right owner too.
To help you choose, we recommend Puppy Central’s 12-step puppy aptitude test. It is designed to be used with dogs that are between 7 and 12 weeks old and can help you choose the perfect puppy for your home. There are some guidelines that should be adhered to when taking the test, as you don’t want anything to drastically affect the final score.
- Perform the test when the puppy is alert and lively, as a tired pup may not be all that responsive.
- Don’t redo steps to try to elicit a different response. The first response is the one that truly counts.
- If you have a separate scorer, ensure they don’t distract the puppy when it is spending time with you.
- Don’t ask the breeder to be the scorer, as they may be biased when trying to sell to you. Bring along a third party.
- Test in an area that is unfamiliar to the puppy.
Check out the aptitude test below, and use it to ensure you bring home the perfect puppy companion.
Infographic Design By Puppy Central Puppy Central